On October 31st, the DOOH Forum celebrated its eighth edition at Callao City Lights cinemas, in Madrid, attracting around 800 in-person attendees. Organized by Periódico PublicidAD, this event focused on the future of outdoor advertising.
Maite Rodríguez, the president of the Exterior section of the Asociación de Empresas de Comunicación (LaFede), emphasized the importance of valuing advertising as a driver of business development. In this context, the first forum block titled “Measurement and Effectiveness” provided a deep analysis of innovations in audience measurement in outdoor media and, mainly, in digital outdoor advertising. Taking the stage were Álvaro de Gracia, CEO at APPcelerate, Concha Machín, manager of Clece OOH, and Marta Rodríguez, general manager of Gran Pantalla.
THE CHALLENGE: ACHIEVING UNIFIED MEASUREMENT IN OUTDOOR AND INDOOR ADVERTISING
Clece OOH and Gran Pantalla exclusively manage strategic advertising spaces in Madrid’s transportation interchanges.
In the case of Clece OOH, its inventory of advertising spaces includes the Urban Led large-format digital outdoor circuit, with DOOH screens at strategic points in Madrid, such as the interchange stations at Plaza de Castilla, Avenida de América, and Príncipe Pío.
As for Gran Pantalla, it manages spaces in the interchange stations at Plaza Elíptica and Moncloa.
Meanwhile, APPcelerate is a next-generation “full ad-stock platform” tailored to the CookieLess world, using artificial intelligence to analyze consumer behavior and contextualize the activation of digital media, specifically DOOH, in a precise manner.
During his presentation, Álvaro de Gracia highlighted that when APPcelerate began working with both exclusive managers and proposed audience measurement, they faced the challenge of doing so not only in outdoor circuits but also indoors, referring to mupis and digital advertising screens in lobbies, corridors, and spaces traversed by travelers.
LIMITATIONS OF TELCO TECHNOLOGY IN INDOOR ADVERTISING
Both Clece OOH and Gran Pantalla have identified that one of the challenges arises from the limitations of TELCO data, based on GPS, for measuring audiences in indoor environments where GPS is not sufficiently accurate. There is a need for uniform data between indoor and outdoor, overcoming the dispersion of advertising media and imprecision in location detection.
APPcelerate took action to develop a system that could access real-time, precise data from mobile devices near each advertising space, allowing for more intelligent and rapid decision-making based on geocontextual data. APPcelerate defines itself as a complete programmatic ecosystem that, thanks to this innovative measurement product, enables campaigns to reach the next level.
THE SOLUTION: UNIFIED AND ROBUST MEASUREMENT IN CLECE OOH AND GRAN PANTALLA CIRCUITS
It is important to emphasize the significance of a unified and robust measurement, which Clece OOH achieves with the help of metrics obtained through APPcelerate. This includes the assurance that these data comply with the General Data Protection Regulation, applicable at the European level, even when travelers have their mobile devices in airplane mode. They also leverage the benefits of artificial intelligence in qualitative and quantitative data analysis and reporting.
Therefore, both Clece OOH and Gran Pantalla provide homogeneous metrics in the interchange stations environment, covering both indoor and outdoor settings and ensuring consistency across the five Madrid transportation interchanges.
There are numerous examples and testimonials from satisfied clients regarding the successful performance of their outdoor advertising campaigns on interchange station displays, including MediaKeys International, ANA Agencia Negociadora del Alquiler, GroupM, Productores de Sonrisas, and Mitsubishi Electric, among others.
In all cases, their marketing strategy incorporates OOH because they value geolocation, large format, and the opportunity to reach the right audience at the right time, while also considering the impact on ROI unquestionable and desiring precise metrics.
HOW DOES APPCELERATE WORK?
Álvaro de Gracia concluded the joint presentation by explaining in detail how APPcelerate operates. The process involves APPtivate, Temple, attribution models, PeopleMetrics, and AppTV.
– APPtivate is responsible for activating geo-audiences through mobile, desktop, and app downloads, with over 200 triggers to activate campaigns from the DMP in a CookieLess environment.
– Temple focuses on the outdoor medium, using TELCO-based data with proven technology for measurement. It covers not only screen planning but also activation in the programmatic environment.
– The effectiveness and ROI attribution models have been developed in collaboration with Deloitte.
– PeopleMetrics is the product implemented to monitor the indoor environment. This “location analytics” within transportation interchanges is achieved through the use of sensors that identify the exact location and path of signals from individual devices. This allows real-time visualization on a dashboard of device volume, frequency, average stay, most common paths, unique users despite measurement on different levels of an interchange, and other KPIs that will be processed later in reports to facilitate decision-making.
ADVANTAGES OF PRECISE MEASUREMENT IN CLECE OOH AND GRAN PANTALLA’S OUTDOOR AND INDOOR ADVERTISING CIRCUITS
Some of the advantages of this innovative measurement system include:
1. Evaluation of Campaign Effectiveness: Assessing the effectiveness of campaigns in reaching the intended audience and evaluating return on investment.
2. Audience Segmentation: Understanding the target audience of the advertising, including demographic data, behavior, and preferences, to tailor the language accordingly.
3. Location Optimization: Identifying the most effective locations for each campaign.
4. Real-time Campaign Adjustments: Making adjustments to the campaign in real-time through audience monitoring.
5. Integration of Digital Media: The programmatic advertising has erased the barriers between the offline and online worlds, establishing a unified digital ecosystem that allows advertisers to reach their audience more efficiently.
6. Strategic Planning: Providing useful long-term information to identify patterns and trends across multiple campaigns.